Are you interested in hiring internationally? There are a variety of people and resources to help you hire international workers. While the process can vary depending on the position, the steps are process driven, and may not be as daunting as you think. Also, the process will become easier as you get comfortable with the steps and procedures.
International Recruitment – Common Employer Hiring Process
|Step 1||Recruit locally and nationally through Job Bank and other sources; ensure you document your efforts.|
|Step 2||Begin international recruitment.|
|Step 3||Identify foreign worker(s).|
|Step 4||Prepare and submit the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) application to Service Canada.|
|Step 5||Positive LMO = permission to proceed.|
|Step 6||Forward positive LMO to foreign worker to include in application for temporary work permit.|
|Step 7||Foreign worker applies for temporary work permit through a Citizenship and Immigration Canada(CIC) Visa Office or Canada Border Services Agency Port of Entry upon arriving in Canada. CIC Visa Office is encouraged.|
|Step 8||Welcome and assist new employee with settlement and integration into workplace and PEI.|
|Step 9||Support foreign worker with application for permanent residency through the PEI Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP).|
|Step 10||PEI PNP will decide on selection and CIC will make decision on permanent residency.|
- PEI Connectors Program with Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce provides PEI businesses with the opportunity to connect with newcomer entrepreneurs.
- Services for Employers with PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada can connect Prince Edward Island employers with newcomers who are currently living in Prince Edward Island and looking for employment.
- Diversity Employment Program supports and encourages diversity within provincial government departments and agencies.
- Foreign Worker Recruitment - Office of Immigration, Settlement and Population
- Prince Edward Island Employer Guide to Hiring Foreign Workers
- Hiring International Workers in Atlantic Canada: An Employer's Guide
- Guide to Qualification Recognition - PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada
- Employer's Roadmap to Hiring and Retaining Internationally Trained Workers (ITWs)
- Attracting and Retaining Immigrants: a tool box of ideas for smaller centres