Child Care and EducationChild Care
In Prince Edward Island (PEI), parents of young children have several quality options for child care including early learning and child care centres, day care centres, and babysitters to name a few.
- A Guide to Quality Child Care Handbook from Early Childhood Development Association outlines different child care options and provides information on how to choose the most appropriate type of child care for your child.
- The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development is responsible for policies, programs and services relating to public education and early childhood development.
- A Guide to Child Care from PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada provides general information on childcare.
Education for eligible children from kindergarten through Grade 12 (approximately ages 5 to 17) is publicly funded. Children in PEI study in safe and fun surroundings with access to playground equipment and sports fields in most schools. All public schools in PEI teach the same curriculum; however, parents can choose to enroll children in English, French, or English with French immersion, which has a blend of English and French classes. Often, children in the same neighborhood will attend the same school. The school your child attends is often determined by where you live.
- The Home and School Toolkit has been developed by the PEI Home and School Federation to help families navigate their child's learning journey in Prince Edward Island. The Toolkit is available in English, French, Simplified Chinese, Farsi, and Nepali.
- Search for schools in your community
- Address Locator tool is useful to determine which school your children may attend based on your address
- The English as an Additional Language and French as an Additional Language Reception Centre provides information, assessments, orientation, and support to schools, as well as to parents and children born in countries other than Canada or whose mother tongue is a language other than English or French.
- Guide to PEI Schools from the PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada provides general information on the Prince Edward Island school system.
Guide to PEI Schools