Federal Immigration Programs
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the federal department responsible for immigration in Canada. There are a number of immigration programs to assist newcomers immigrating to Canada.
The Come to Canada Tool can help you figure out which federal immigration program is right for you and your family. The tool will ask you a series of questions and offer advice based on your answers.
There are number of ways to immigrate to Canada through Citizenship and Immigration Canada's categories:
- Skilled Workers and Professionals for trained people who want to settle and work in Canada
- Business Immigration Program for people who want to invest or start a business in Canada
- Canadian Experience Class for people who have recent Canadian work experience or have recently graduated in Canada
- Sponsoring your Family for permanent residents and Canadian citizens, this program can assist you in sponsoring an eligible family member to join you in Canada
- Temporary Work Permit for people interested in working temporarily in Canada
- Study Permits for people who wish to study in Canada
- Work Permits for Students wishing to work in Canada while they study
- Refugee for people needing protection in or outside Canada who fear returning to their home country
Federal immigration program requirements and status may change at any time. Citizenship and Immigration Canada can provide the most current information and details on each category.
You may be eligible to immigrate to PEI through the PEI Provincial Nominee Program which is designed to make the immigration system more flexible and responsive to provincial labour market needs.