Federal Immigration ProgramsCitizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the federal department responsible for immigration in Canada. There are a number of immigration programs to assist newcomers immigrating to Canada.
The Come to Canada Tool can help you figure out which federal immigration program is right for you and your family. The tool will ask you a series of questions and offer advice based on your answers.
There are number of ways to immigrate to Canada through Citizenship and Immigration Canada's categories:
- Federal skilled workers for people who want to settle and work in Canada
- Skilled trades for people who want to immigrate based on being qualified in a skilled trade
- Quebec-selected skilled workers for people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec
- Canadian Experience Class for people who have recent Canadian work experience or have graduated and recently worked in Canada
- Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people for people who want to start a business in Canada
- Provincial nominees for perople who want to ne nominated by one of Canada’s provinces or territories to settle and work there
- Sponsoring your family for permanent residents and Canadian citizens who want to sponsor a family member to join them in Canada
- Live-in caregivers for individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision
- Refugees for people in or outside Canada who fear returning to their home country
- Temporary Work Permits for perople interested in working temporarily in Canada
- Study Permits for people who wish to study in Canada
- Work Permits for Students wishing to work in Canada while they study
Federal immigration program requirements and status may change at any time. Citizenship and Immigration Canada can provide the most current information and details on each category.
You may be eligible to immigrate to PEI through the PEI Provincial Nominee Program which is designed to make the immigration system more flexible and responsive to provincial labour market needs.
CIC YouTube channel has videos about Canada's immigration services for newcomers.