The Prince Edward Island (PEI) economy is comprised of long-established industries such as agriculture and fisheries along with emerging industries including aerospace, bioscience, information technology, and renewable energy.
PEI may be small in size but big opportunities are happening here. Many of PEI's industries are experiencing great prosperity and exciting innovations are emerging every day. Whether you plan on operating a business or finding your place in PEI's workforce there are opportunities for you.
The provincial government is committed to creating a prosperous and vibrant economy that is flexible and able to adapt to a changing world. Currently, the focus is on five industries - aerospace, bioscience, healthcare, information technology and renewable energy. These high-knowledge industries have a strong track record and significant potential for further growth in revenues and exports, and all offer skilled, well-paid opportunities.
If you want to start or expand a business, you can do very well in PEI. PEI has a friendly business climate and a government committed to turning business ideas into successful business operations. The province has a reputation for being a great place to do business.
Here are few reasons why:
- Invest PEI is a partnership of all three levels of government (federal, provincial and municipal) working together to attract foreign investment to PEI. Operating as a seamless partnership, Invest PEI provides a “one-stop-shop” service for business needs.
- Innovation PEI offers a series of programs and services to help businesses, succeed, create jobs and strengthen the PEI economy.
- Finance PEI is the lead financing and strategic infrastructure division for PEI.
- The Business Integration Officer with Innovation PEI provides navigation and business counseling services to newcomers who wish to start, purchase, or invest in a business in PEI.
- PEI Connectors Program with the Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce helps new residents settle into their communities and make key business connections.
- PEI offers a cost effective and business friendly environment with a highly skilled and educated labor pool.
- PEI has highly qualified personnel to help form your workforce, thanks to accredited hands-on programs at local colleges and the provincial university.
- PEI has excellent business infrastructure.
- Residents of Prince Edward Island enjoy affordable housing, short commutes, little traffic, low crime rates, friendly neighbours, equal access to wonderful educational institutions, and good healthcare. It's a great place to raise a family.
Listen to proud PEI business owners talk about operating their businesses in PEI.
Working in PEI provides more detailed information on PEI jobs and working in the province.