K-12 EducationEvery eligible child in Prince Edward Island must attend kindergarten through Grade 12 (K to 12). The K to 12 school system is publicly funded, so residents don't have to pay extra fees for their child to receive a good education. All public schools in Prince Edward Island teach the same curriculum; however, parents can choose to enroll their children in English, French, or English with French immersion, which has a blend of English and French classes.
Boys and girls attend the same school, and all students are encouraged to express their opinions and to study hard. Teachers are friendly and encourage parents to be involved in their child’s education.
Many students in Prince Edward Island enjoy extra-curricular activities which are not a necessary part of school, but they are a great way to meet new friends and learn new skills. Extra-curricular activities vary at each school; however, many schools have musical bands, theatre, and sports teams for children to join. In senior grades, students can also take classes that will teach them special skills such as woodworking, art, multimedia, carpentry, mechanics, or cooking, depending on the school they attend. There are playgrounds and sports fields at most schools.
For more information on education:
- Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture
- English Language School Board
- French Language School Board/La Commission scolaire de langue française de Î.-P.-É.
- The Home and School Toolkit has been developed by the PEI Home and School Federation to help families navigate their child's learning journey in Prince Edward Island. The Toolkit is available in English French Simplified ChineseFarsi and Nepali
- Search for schools in your community.
- Address Locator tool is useful to determine which school your children may attend based on your address. The English as an Additional Language and French as an Additional Language Reception Centre provides information, assessments, orientation, and support to schools, as well as to parents and children born in countries other than Canada or whose mother tongue is a language other than English or French. Alternative Education
- Guide to PEI Schools from the PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada provides general information on the Prince Edward Island school system.
- Studying in PEI(Post Secondary)
- Learning Language (English and/or French)